Gladstone will play host to the final round of the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series later this month when an estimated 100 plus racers head to Benaraby Raceway for the fourth and final round of the Series on Saturday 28 September.
Racers from across South East Queensland will head to Benaraby to fight for titles in six different race brackets, with the points chase the closest ever seen in the Series' four year history.
Series organiser John Winterburn said that local Gladstone racers will face off against competitors who call the racing facilities of Warwick, Roma and Willowbank home, in the final hurrah for the 2013 Series which brings prestige racing to the regional facilities of South East Queensland.
"The countdown to the grand finale for 2013's JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series is well and truly on, and I for one can't wait to get on-track at Gladstone's Benaraby Raceway on the 28th of September," said Winterburn.
"This Series just keeps going from strength to strength, and I couldn't be more excited to see the continually growing level of racer participation, sponsor support and quality racing as we take in some of South East Queensland's finest regional drag racing venues.
"With the points chase heading into this year's grand finale easily the tightest we have ever seen, I think the relaxed atmosphere we are so well known for might be slightly more tense this time around as the racers and their support teams try to edge out their competitors for the Series trophy.
"When all is said and done however, this is all about having a great time in some great locations, and what better location for the grand finale than Gladstone's Benaraby Raceway!"
Racers in all brackets are asked to nominate a 'home track' for the Series. Leading the way to Benaraby Raceway will be points leaders Lyn Stewart (FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving Old School – Warwick), Caleb Oberg (Diamond T Products Junior Dragster – Willowbank), Michael Cameron (RD Williams Excavator Parts Modified – Benaraby), Simon Stevens (Queensland Nameplate Group Modified Bike – Willowbank), Andrew Lange (Ice Slushee Super Sedan – Willowbank) and Robert Winterburn (John William Auto Sales Super Street – Willowbank) - for the current points ladder (top five) please see the end of this release).
Benaraby Raceway's Grand Finale of the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series will take place on Saturday 28 September 2013. Gates open at 9.00am with qualifying from 12.00pm to 4.00pm and racing from 5.00pm onwards. Spectator tickets are available for $20.00 for adults and $15 for students with ID, while children 13 and under gain free admission.
For more information on the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series, including information on rules, how to enter and the points system, please visit to www.willowbankraceway.com.au
Tom Parry and his Torana - sitting 3rd in the Ice Slushee Super Sedan bracket (Photo courtesy dragphotos.com.au)
Points ladder leading in to Grand Finale – Top Five
FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving OLD SCHOOL Bracket
- Lyn Stewart – Warwick – 104 points
- Peter Baczynski – Benaraby – 64 points
- Mark Petersen – Willowbank – 59 points
- Bob Mason – Willowbank – 56 points
- Randall Mohr – Roma – 34 points
RD Williams Excavator Parts MODIFIED BRACKET
- Michael Cameron – Benaraby – 92 points
- Ian Ham – Warwick – 85 points
- Jordan Radford – Willowbank – 58 points
- Mitchell Dell – Willowbank – 57 points
- Athol Jacobsen – Roma – 53 points
Ice Slushee SUPER SEDAN BRACKET
- Andrew Lange – Willowbank – 99 points
- Anthony Whyatt – Willowbank – 98 points
- Tom Parry – Benaraby – 93 points
- Gary Clarke – Willowbank – 89 points
- David Morris – Willowbank – 88 points
John William Auto Sales SUPER STREET BRACKET
- Robert Winterburn – Willowbank – 101 points
- Guy Henry – Willowbank – 96 points
- David Olsen – Willowbank – 94 points
- Terry Evans – Willowbank – 91 points
- Daryl Freeman – Willowbank – 87 points
- Brett McIlveen – Willowbank – 87 points
Queensland Nameplate Group MODIFIED BIKE BRACKET
- Simon Stevens – Willowbank – 94 points
- Matt Halpin – Willowbank – 92 points
- Paul Seawright – Roma – 92 points
- Noel Bartley – Benaraby – 81 points
- Shane Ball – Willowbank – 73 points
Diamond T Products JUNIOR DRAGSTER BRACKET
- Caleb Oberg – Willowbank – 102 points
- Dylan Leo – Willowbank – 96 points
- Christopher Schaper – Willowbank – 92 points
- Ethan Oberg – Willowbank – 92 points
- Alexis Barbeler – Benaraby – 91 points
- Zoe Curling – Willowbank – 91 points